Crimson kiss forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crimson kiss forums

A place where the creatures of the night can come an relase the stress of their day by chatting with other members.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Challah back

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drake

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Challah back Empty
PostSubject: Challah back   Challah back Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 5:11 pm

pronounced 'hallah' with a heavy H (like chanuka). it's a traditional hebrew bread that tastes muy deliciouso. Here's the recipe I used with some recommendations.

Challah recipe;
3&1/2 cups bread flour + extra as needed
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup room-temp water (whole cup may not be necessary- makes dough paste-like
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4th cup vegetable oil + extra for greasing
1/4 cup sugar
2&1/2 tsp salt
egg wash composed of 1 large egg with 2 tbsp milk (water can be used)

makes 1 large loaf or 2 smaller ones

combine flour and yeast in bowl, add water, eggs, egg yolks, oil, sugar, and salt. Mix at a moderate speed for 4 minutes. Mix at a high speed for 4 more minutes. if using automatic mixer low then moderate speed. - Note: Dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is still sticky, you used too much water. If it's toughened up you need more water.

lightly oil bowl, place dough inside. coat dough in oil that is present on the bowl's surface (ie; roll it around in the bowl till it's covered in a light layer of oil). Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel (no need to create a seal). Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx 1 hour).

Fold dough gently, cover, rest it 20 minutes. Divide into 3 equal pieces (measure/weigh if you feel necessary but by eye is fine too). Cover and rest 20 more minutes. Work with 1 piece at a time, place dough on a lightly flowered work surface and press lightly with your fingertips to stretch into a rectangle aprox 6x10 inches in size, using flour to keep it from sticking to your hands. fold bread in on itself in thirds lengthwise (ie; hold out 3 fingers, this represents the bread, now fold one in on either side. this is how much proportional room you should use to fold). press lightly along the edge created to tighten the surface of the dough. once both sides are folded onto the middle, fold in half again, meeting at the top. use the heel of your palm to seal the seam, and keep the seem as straight as possible.

Roll each piece of dough into a tapered 12 inch (aprox) cylinder increasing pressure from your hands as you work outward from the center. lay the 3 ropes of dough parallel to one another. begin braiding in the center of the strands.place the left strand over the center strand and then the right strand over the center strand. repeat until you reach the end, pinch the ends together tightly. turn and repeat on the new side. tuck ends under bread and place the dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

Brush the dough lightly with egg wash and let rise a second time until it springs back slowly when touched, but does not collapse (approx 1 hour). do not cover as egg wash will make it sticky.

preheat oven to 350 degrees F, gently re-apply egg wash if desired (makes it shinier). bake until dark golden brown (25-30 minutes)

It's not necessary to make it in that shape, the dough tends to be kind of soft so it does work well for the bread as it gives it structure. Like binding sticks in a bundle makes it harder to break, etc. I had to improvise on the shape as I used the whole cup of water and the dough couldn't be molded so i had to cook it some, shape it, cook it some more, shape it again, then put it back in for the final cook. All in all it's a fun bread to make IMO. You can add seasoning to the mix when you start. I'd make some without seasoning first and then decide what you'd like it to taste like afterwards (tastes pretty nummy on its own).

Last edited by on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cherry
Admin
Cherry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2006-12-18

Challah back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Challah back   Challah back Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 6:47 am

and its yummy too.. Very Happy

this recipie recives the following rating : 3/5
I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
https://crimsonkiss.rpg-board.net

Challah back
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crimson kiss forums :: Hobbies :: The cult of domesticity :: Recipes-
Jump to: